Start date: Late October
Hours: Permanent part-time, 28-hours/week, with occasional evening and weekend work. Possibility for flexible work arrangements.
Compensation: $42,000 – $46,000 salary commensurate with experience
Benefits: Health and Dental Coverage, 4-weeks vacation
Application Deadline: Friday, October 1, 2021, 4:00 p.m. PDT
Interviews: Week of October 11, 2021
As Western Front approaches its 50th anniversary, we are moving through a period of organisational renewal to support greater sustainability and operational excellence. To assist us in this process, we are seeking an experienced, motivated and highly organized arts administrator to join our team.
The Operations Manager is a new position that will support Western Front’s day-to-day operations and is a key member of the leadership team. Working closely with and reporting to the Executive Director, the Operations Manager will support the administrative management of the organisation, including the implementation of strategic objectives and organizational initiatives, financial management, human resources, facilities and infrastructure, and risk management. The Operations Manager will also support and contribute to Western Front’s engagement, development and fundraising activities.
- Deputise for the Executive Director as required, including managing internal planning and communications, and external stakeholder and partnership management.
- Support the management of the operational, financial and administrative functions of the organisation, ensuring that all aspects of Western Front are delivered on schedule, within budget, and to the highest standard. This includes compliance with all Charity and Society regulations.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of Western Front’s facilities, and the general administration of the commercial aspects of its operations, including tenant leases, venue rentals, publications sales, and digitization services.
- Manage Western Front’s human resource function, ensuring that all personnel and employment policies and procedures are reviewed and implemented and can be delivered, monitored and managed effectively by permanent and contract staff.
- Ensure that all Health and Safety regulations are met and that regular monitoring and evaluation is carried out, and recommendations for improvement are implemented.
Engagement and Development
- Assist with the development, implementation and yearly review of the organization’s strategic and operational plans.
- Assist with the research, writing, and reporting of operating and capital project grants, and other project-based grants as required.
- Manage fundraising and development events, projects, and initiatives from conception to completion.
- Manage Western Front membership administration.
- Liaise with the Board of Directors, sit on relevant committees and assist with Board development and evaluation strategies as required.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organisation and demonstrate commitment to Western Front’s values.
- At least 5-years experience managing operations at a non-profit organisation, with direct experience in the arts and culture sector an asset.
- Demonstrated ability with strategic planning, organisational policy development, and effective work with a Board of Directors and Executive Director, to build internal and external support and capacity.
- Proven success managing budgets, writing grants, and initiating fundraising.
- Experience with human resource practices and processes, including those that support greater focus on organizational justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Proven facility with Microsoft Office (especially Word and Excel), database software (FileMaker Pro), cloud-based storage systems such as Google Drive, accounting software (QuickBooks), and familiarity with payroll software. Western Front is a Mac work environment.
Successful candidate will possess
- Ability to work creatively and forge mutually respectful and trusting relationships with a diverse group of staff, Board members, community members and stakeholders.
- Ability to work both autonomously and with others in a highly collaborative work environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
- Demonstrated commitment to working collegially and collaboratively with colleagues, the Board and stakeholders.
How to Apply
Please submit a brief letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and the names and contact details for three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Operations Manager Application.”
We thank all applicants, and advise that only applicants shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
Western Front actively supports equity, diversity and inclusion. We believe that diversity strengthens and enriches us, and are committed to helping to make the arts and cultural sector a more diverse and equitable place. We encourage, among others, Indigenous people, people from racialized communities, women, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations and gender identities to apply. If you wish to self-identify please do so in your letter of interest.
All qualified candidates are welcome to apply, however Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and those who hold a Canadian work permit will be given priority.
Western Front is currently conducting feasibility planning to improve the accessibility of our beloved but challenging heritage building. If you have specific questions relating to accessibility, please email email@example.com